The Philippines’ newly elected president will give his first report on the state of the nation in a while Monday, and lay out his coverage agenda for the approaching yr.
Ferdinand Marcos Jr will give his first State of the Nation Handle (SONA) because the chief of the Philippines on Monday.
The 64-year-old son of the disgraced dictator Ferdinand Marcos received a landslide victory within the race for the presidency in Could, simply beating off a problem from then Vice President Leni Robredo.
He took the oath of workplace on June 30, surrounded by his household together with his 93-year-old mom Imelda Marcos.
Critics have accused Marcos Jr of rewriting historical past to gloss over the abuses of his father’s time in workplace and polish his household’s picture after they have been pressured from energy in a mass rebellion in 1986.
Marcos Jr, popularly often called Bongbong, takes over because the financial system struggles with the results of the coronavirus pandemic and rising costs. He has promised to create extra jobs and ship a greater future in a rustic the place almost 1 / 4 of the inhabitants lives on lower than $2 a day.
Right here’s what to anticipate:
- Below the Philippines’ 1987 Structure, the president delivers the SONA every year on the final Monday in July.
- The handle assesses the state of the nation, lays out the federal government’s agenda for the approaching yr, and suggests precedence laws.
- The federal government has 30 days after the SONA to submit its proposed funds to Congress.
What’s deliberate for the event?
- The SONA will happen on the newly renovated Batasang Pambansa Advanced in Quezon Metropolis, in a joint session of the Home of Representatives and the Senate.
- The speech shall be delivered in individual for the primary time since 2019.
- Ferdinand Marcos Jr is predicted to start out making his handle at about 4pm (09:00 GMT).
- Some 1,365 folks, together with former presidents, shall be within the viewers.
- A choir from the Ilocos area, the Marcos household stronghold, will sing the nationwide anthem.
What shall be within the speech?
- Presidential Government Secretary Victor Rodriguez informed reporters on Friday that Marcos Jr was writing his speech himself.
- The handle is predicted to deal with financial coverage and the federal government’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic, together with the resumption of in-person educating, based on Rodriguez.
- There may be additionally anticipated to be a deal with meals safety.
- Critics say they wish to hear Marcos Jr elaborate on his broadly sketched purpose of “unity”, the key theme of his marketing campaign for workplace.
Are any protests deliberate?
- Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan – an alliance of civil society teams) has been allowed to proceed with a rally on Monday morning after interesting towards a police choice to disclaim them permission to protest.
- Police have mentioned anti-Marcos rallies can happen at three areas: College of the Philippines Diliman campus, Quezon Memorial Circle and the compound of the Fee on Human Rights.
- Marcos Jr supporters are additionally planning an occasion, together with reside music. That may happen near the Batasang Pambansa.
What about safety?
- The Nationwide Police’s Nationwide Capital Area Police Workplace has mentioned greater than 21,000 officers shall be deployed for the occasion.
- The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines has introduced a no-fly zone within the sky above the Batasang Pambansa Advanced from Saturday afternoon till Monday night.
- A gun ban was imposed within the Metro Manila space on Friday and can stay in place till July 27.